Marcus Trescothick the former England opener, says he has turned down a request from Andrew Strauss to make himself available for selection to the squad for the World Twenty20 in June. Trescothick said though he would have loved a return to the England side, he knew the dangers to his health of committing himself to international cricket would be far too great. England announced a preliminary squad for the tournament earlier this week.
“After taking everything into consideration, I reluctantly had to tell Strauss that playing for England again was just not possible,” Trescothick told the Mail on Sunday. “I had no choice but to say no. I might be wrong, but I still believe that if it was as simple as turning up and batting for England, I could do it and succeed.
“Playing cricket for England was the great ambition of my life and, until I became ill, I loved everything about it, so not being able to do so now is a source of great regret. I miss the buzz and the stage and the chance to put my ability to the sternest test, and I’d be lying if I said I haven’t thought about it often.”
Trescothick, who quit international cricket in March 2008 after struggling with a stress-related illness, said he did not want to put himself and his family in risk again. “I appreciate the thought and I know Strauss was not trying to put me under any pressure. The management have been very sensitive about my situation, and that has helped me in my decision-making. But the time truly has come for me to stop dreaming and face reality. As much as I’d love to have another bash for England, it isn’t going to happen, at any level.
“I really hope everyone can accept that part of my story is over for good. It is time for me and for England to move on.” Trescothick had dismissed reports of a comeback in August after it was suggested the then captain Kevin Pietersen was keen on his return.
Source:Cricket NewsMore on:Andrew Strauss, england, Marcus Trescothick, Twenty20
Share on Twitter | StumbleUpon | Del.icio.us | Digg | Facebook
Thank you for reading this post. You can now Leave A Comment (0) or Leave A Trackback.
Post InfoThis entry was posted on Monday, April 13th, 2009 and is filed under General, Cricket.
Previous Post: Snyman desperate for success »
Next Post: Australia aim to force series decider »
Read MoreRelated Reading:
- Flower favourite for England role
- Ponting keen to finish lost series on a high
- Rhodes calls for fielding captains in Twenty20s
- Lehmann counting on Gilchrist and Laxman
- Pietersen’s IPL coach not worried about personality clash
- Gibbs hundred hands series to South Africa
- Warne backs Kamran, Jadeja and Yusuf to fire
- Afghanistan dream virtually over after loss to Canada
- Flintoff hopes for injury-free summer
- Four-captain plan misinterpreted - Buchanan