English County Surrey will host a Twenty20 game on 10th July to raise funds for the victims of October 8 devastating earthquake in Pakistan.
An International Cricket XI led by Indian captain Rahul Dravid and featuring West Indian skipper Brian Lara, Sri Lankaâ€™s off-spin wizard Muttiah Muralitharan and Indian wicket-keeper Mahendra Dhoni will take on Pakistan at The Oval here. England all-rounder Andrew Flintoff will make a non-playing appearance.
â€œRaising money to help the victims of the earthquake is important to us,â€ Surrey Chief Executive Paul Sheldon said. â€œIt was a terrible tragedy but Iâ€™d like to think this match might go some way in helping to speed up the recovery process. We were successful in raising a very significant sum last year to help the victims of tsunami so it would be great if we can do same again this year.â€
Surrey and The Ovalâ€™s main sponsors Brit Insurance have pledged donations which, along with the profits from the match, will be passed on to Pakistan Presidentâ€™s Earthquake Relief Fund.
Source:The NewsMore on:Brian Lara, Earthquake, Muttiah Muralitharan, Pakistan, Rahul Dravid, Surrey
Thank you for reading this post. You can now Leave A Comment (0) or Leave A Trackback.
Post InfoThis entry was posted on Friday, May 19th, 2006 and is filed under General.
Previous Post: Valuable clues to WC lie in the Caribbean »
Next Post: No surprises expected in Pakistan squad for England »
Read MoreRelated Reading:
- Haddin arrives with 169 as Australia rule
- Thankfully Indian Tour is Still On
- Game Should Be Binding Them
- Miandad stresses need for coaching
- Mohali emerges as alternative venue
- Zimbabwe choke again to gift Sri Lanka whitewash
- Lee floors overawed New Zealand to seal series win
- ICL players believe cricket will bind Indo-Pak together
- India’s Pakistan tour in doubt
- Hussey and Ponting set up Australia control in second Test