A Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) official on Saturday made it clear that fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar would be allowed to take part in next month’s Afro-Asia one-day cricket series only after he proves his full match-fitness before leaving for India.
Shoaib, after initial reluctance to play in the series citing personal commitments and lack of match fitness, has now made himself available for the three-match series to be staged in Bangalore and Chennai from June 9.
“We have no problems with Shoaib playing for the Asia eleven. We know he has been training hard. Obviously, our medical panel is keeping tabs on him. Plus it is also the responsibility of the Pakistani selector on the ACC selection panel to see he is fully fit,” PCB spokesman Ehsan Malik said.
“The Board would satisfy itself that Shoaib was fully fit as he was a senior and key player for the country,” he added.
Shoaib wants to return to international cricketing action with the series.
Shoaib said he was match fit and had been talking with former Pakistan captain and paceman Wasim Akram. “Wasim feels that the one-day series is a good opportunity for me to ease myself back into international cricket after a long-layoff. I want to pace myself in such a way I don’t get injured again,” he said.
Source:The NewsMore on:Afro Asia one day cricket series, Asia, Pakistan, PCB, Shoaib Akhtar, Wasim Akram
Thank you for reading this post. You can now Leave A Comment (0) or Leave A Trackback.
Post InfoThis entry was posted on Monday, May 21st, 2007 and is filed under General, Cricket.
Previous Post: BCCI rope in sponsors for Ireland ODIs »
Next Post: Bangladesh to host India and Pakistan in tri-series »
Read MoreRelated Reading:
- Michael Vaughan takes up media role
- Hong Kong beat Italy in clash of favourites
- Sri Lanka eye tournament as preparation for World Twenty20
- Ashes more important than Stanford - Harmison
- Cameron White named as McGain’s replacement
- Mushtaq for ICL-IPL playoff
- Kirsten pleased with pre-series camp
- Injured McGain to fly home from India
- Court to rule if Stanford game can proceed
- Forced retirement talk only in the media - Kumble