No chop and cut in national squad till 2007 World Cup

The movers and shakers of Pakistan cricket on Monday agreed the need to avoid any “chop and cut” in the lead up to next year’s World Cup in the West Indies, a top official said.

Abbas Zaidi, Pakistan Cricket Board’s (PCB) Director of Board Operations, told this correspondent that one of the positive outcomes of Monday’s Ad-hoc Committee meeting in Lahore was that “more or less everybody agreed that there shouldn’t be any chop and cut till the (2007) World Cup”.

With everybody, Zaidi meant the PCB Chairman Shaharyar Khan, members of the Ad-hoc Committee, Pakistan coach Bob Woolmer, skipper Inzamam-ul-Haq and chief selector Wasim Bari.

Woolmer, Inzamam and Bari were specially invited to attend the Ad-hoc Committee meeting to get their inputs on Pakistan’s plans for a series of international assignments including the World Cup.

Zaidi said the three of them gave their views on Pakistan’s preparations for this summer’s tour of England, the home series against the West Indies, the tour of South Africa and the World Cup in the Caribbean.

“Our job was to update the Committee on our selection process and to inform its members about our plans for a series of international assignments for our national team at home and abroad in the coming months,” Wasim Bari told ‘The News’ after the meeting.

As expected, former Test cricketer Zaheer Abbas was retained as manager of the Pakistan team for the tour of England. Zaheer was given the post when Pakistan visited Sri Lanka earlier this year.

Another former Test batsman Mohsin Hassan Khan was appointed manager of the Pakistan A squad for this summer’s tour of Australia in place of Shafiq Ahmad. Shafiq was Pakistan A team’s manager when the team played and won the title in the EurAsia Cup in Abu Dhabi last month.

The Ad-hoc Committee also replaced the team’s coach Rashid Khan with Sabeeh Azhar for the tour of Australia. Zaidi added that the Ad-hoc Committee also discussed the issue of the central contract system and took a few decisions on it. It was decided that in future a total of 20 players would be awarded central contracts while 12 more would be kept on a retainer. The central contracts would be reviewed once a year while the retainers would be awarded on a six-month basis. It is expected that the Ad-hoc Committee would enhance the fees of the country’s leading cricketers when it formally reviews their contracts sometimes later this month.

But Zaidi reiterated the Board’s stance on the subject saying that there have been no demands from the players for a pay raise. Zaidi said the National Cricket Academy (NCA) Director Mudassar Nazar gave a detailed presentation on his plans to spread academies in various centres of the country. The Committee also received a presentation on the expansion and renovation plan for Karachi’s National Stadium.

Source:The News

More on:, , ,

Written by Team CricketViewer on June 6th, 2006 with no comments.
Read more articles on General.

Related articles

No comments

There are still no comments on this article.

Leave your comment...

If you want to leave your comment on this article, simply fill out the next form:




You can use these XHTML tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <code> <em> <i> <strike> <strong> .