Injured fast bowler Lasith Malinga is doubtful for Sri Lanka’s Super Eights match against Australia on Monday.
Malinga missed Sri Lanka’s victory over New Zealand on Thursday with a torn ligament in his left ankle. “I don’t know whether we will risk him against Australia, he is doubtful for that match,” Sri Lankan team manager Michael Tessera said on Friday.
“It may be better to keep him for the game against Ireland (on Wednesday),” he added. Tessera said Malinga, who has taken 15 wickets at 14.26 runs each including an unprecedented four from four balls against South Africa, was on the mend.
“He was walking around this morning and he is feeling much better,” he said. “When his injury was diagnosed the doctors said he would be out of action for about a week, so we don’t know yet what his condition will be like. We will have to assess him in practice and take it from there.”
Malinga has been a central figure in Sri Lanka’s strong showing at the tournament. The 1996 champions have lost just one match so far, when they went down to South Africa by one wicket in Guyana.
Share on Twitter | StumbleUpon | Del.icio.us | Digg | Facebook
Thank you for reading this post. You can now Leave A Comment (0) or Leave A Trackback.
Post InfoThis entry was posted on Monday, April 16th, 2007 and is filed under Cricket, Cricket Stars.
Previous Post: Ponting proud of record run »
Next Post: Tendulkar, Yuvraj reply to show-cause notice »
Read MoreRelated Reading:
- Miandad gets task to help Pak batsmen
- No World Cup without Pakistan, says PCB chief
- Uncapped keeper Hartley covers for Haddin, Manou
- Zimbabwe keep series hopes flickering
- Dyson sacked as West Indies coach
- Clark cool as Oval chances diminish
- Bangladesh aim to wrap up series
- BCCI turns to top legal brains for help on WADA issue
- Younis not about to resign
- Watson desperate for maiden ton