Majid to make last-ditch effort

  (131 views)

Former Test captain Majid Khan left on Thursday for Dubai to attend the meeting of the Cricket Committee of the International Cricket Council (ICC) armed with documents to plead for another review of the bowling action of pacer Shabbir Ahmed.

Shabbir was banned last December by the ICC for a 12-month period for having an illegal bowling action. The ban came after he was reported twice for his action in 2005.

The PCB filed an appeal on his behalf against the ban in January this year but the Bowling Action Review Group (BRG), formed by the ICC, rejected it and upheld the ban.

“We know it’s a difficult situation but we are making another attempt to get the ICC to have another review of his action before the ban ends. If we are successful it would be very good for Shabbir but if they don’t agree there is not much we can do about it and he’ll have to serve out his ban period,” Director Cricket Operations PCB, Saleem Altaf said.

He added that Majid had gone to Dubai with the latest video footage and other documents supporting another review of Shabbir’s action. “But we know that the ICC or its Cricket Committee is not bound to listen to our request. The regulations allow for only one appeal but if we can persuade them there is nothing wrong in giving it another try,” Altaf said.

Majid is also PCB’s nomination for the post of Cricket Committee chairman to replace former Indian skipper Sunil Gavaskar.

Shabbir is allowed to play domestic cricket but no international cricket until his case comes up for review again on the completion of his ban according to the regulations of the ICC.

Technology, bad light, playing conditions and bats are on the agenda for the ICC Cricket Committee meeting.

The use of technology, establishing consistent criteria for the assessment of bad light, assessments of playing conditions for various forms of the game and cricket bat specifications are among the subjects set to be discussed at the meeting of the ICC Cricket Committee on Friday and Saturday.

The Committee will debate whether or not to allow players a certain number of appeals - to be determined - per innings if they feel a decision made by the on-field umpire may be incorrect.

If the Committee supports the idea and it is accepted by the Chief Executives’ Committee and the ICC Board, the process would be adopted at this year’s ICC Champions Trophy in India and, if the trial proves successful, it would be repeated at next year’s ICC Cricket World Cup.

The appeals system has been used in American Football for several years and, earlier this year, was trialed in an event on the professional tennis circuit.

Explaining the decision to debate the issue, ICC General Manager - Cricket David Richardson said: “The ICC has consistently shown a willingness to explore the possibilities offered by technology over the past four years ever since the ICC Champions Trophy in 2002.

“What we are looking to do is to increase the already-high numbers of correct decisions made by our on-field umpires without diminishing their role and this approach has the potential to do just that.

Source:The News

More on:, , ,


Thank you for reading this post. You can now Leave A Comment (0) or Leave A Trackback.

Post Info

This entry was posted on Monday, May 8th, 2006 and is filed under General.

Tagged with: , , ,

You can follow any responses to this entry through the Comments Feed. You can Leave A Comment, or A Trackback.



Previous Post: Lara building winning side for 2007 World Cup »
Next Post: Giles targets Pakistan return »

Read More

Related Reading:


    Subscribe without commenting


    Leave a Reply

    Note: Any comments are permitted only because the site owner is letting you post, and any comments could be removed for any reason at the absolute discretion of the site owner.