Australian fast bowler Brett Lee has rated his chances of playing at next month’s World Cup at only “50-50” as he battles to recover from serious ankle ligament damage.
Cricket Australia (CA) issued a statement on Friday saying the key paceman’s availability for the Caribbean will not be known for at least a week, but that he does not need surgery.
“The good news is that I don’t need an operation, I don’t need any screws in the bones which is positive,” said Lee, who arrived home after injuring his left ankle training for the Chappell-Hadlee series.
“At the moment probably all I can say is that I’m 50-50 for the World Cup so fingers crossed. I’ll have to reassess in about a week. I need my doctor to talk to (team physiotherapist) Alex Kountouris over in New Zealand so I’ll know a lot more then,” he added.
Kountouris said in the statement that Lee has suffered serious ligament damage in his left ankle.
Lee said he feared for the worst when he first went down on the ankle but was relieved not to need an operation.
Australian team doctor Trefor James said Lee’s chances of playing in the World Cup depended on his progress over the next week.
Source:The NewsMore on:Australia, Brett Lee, World Cup
Thank you for reading this post. You can now Read Comment (1) or Leave A Trackback.
Post InfoThis entry was posted on Saturday, February 17th, 2007 and is filed under General.
Previous Post: England remain focussed on World Cup, says Panesar »
Next Post: List of squads for cricket World Cup in West Indies »
Read MoreRelated Reading:
- Weed Killer Poison in Woolmer’s Glass
- Fawad Alam, Najaf Shah walk into squad for Abu Dhabi
- Bob Woolmer murder probe inconclusive so far
- New central contracts will be even better!
- Sri Lanka cry foul over Gilchrist’s ball-in-glove ploy
- Hayden earns major cash boost
- Former Test cricketer threatens selection panel
- Lara inaugurates cancer centre with bitter words for WICB
- No hard evidence that Woolmer was strangulated
- Injury scare for Dravid ahead of tour