Chris Gayle, the West Indies captain, has not yet confirmed his availability for West Indies’ first two Tests against Australia, which clash with the inaugural edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL).
“I still have to speak to some people. The world will get an answer soon. At the moment, everybody is just speculating,” Gayle told the Sydney Morning Herald. “But I will probably make my announcement after the series against Sri Lanka.
“It is all there on the table,” Gayle, who was signed up by the IPL’s Kolkata franchise for US$800,000, said. “I have some people to speak to, and I will not comment until then.”
Pat Gilling, Gayle’s manager, also didn’t give a conclusive answer. “We’ve had a discussion,” Gilling said. “I know what he is thinking, but I would have to consult with him before I say anything.”
However, the West Indies Players’ Association chief Dinanath Ramnarine was confident that they would have a full-strength squad against Australia. “I am not in authority to give too much details on this matter, but what I can tell you is that the West Indies will have their full strength team available for the Australian series,” Ramnarine said. “I am aware of the situation with Gayle, [Ramnaresh] Sarwan, and [Shivnarine] Chanderpaul, and I made a call to Dr Peters [WICB chief executive] to inquire from him what was the latest on the situation, and will keep abreast of the situation.”
The West Indies Cricket Board had earlier said it would give players the requisite No Objection Certificates to play in the IPL, which could have led to three of its key players - Gayle, Sarwan and Chanderpaul - missing out on the first two Tests during Australia’s visit.
However, soon after the ICC executive board meeting - at which it was decided that only those players with clearances from their national boards would be allowed to play in the IPL - WICB chief executive Donald Peters confirmed the players would be given permission only for the period between the visits of Sri Lanka and Australia.
The move would result in Gayle, Sarwan and Chanderpaul not being available to play for their IPL franchises for the final two weeks of the tournament - which ends on June 1 - as the first Test against Australia begins on May 22.
Share on Twitter | StumbleUpon | Del.icio.us | Digg | Facebook
Thank you for reading this post. You can now Leave A Comment (0) or Leave A Trackback.
Post InfoThis entry was posted on Friday, March 21st, 2008 and is filed under Cricket, General.
Previous Post: West Indies and Sri Lanka seek to end long wait »
Next Post: Dr. Nasim Starts Preparation for Quitting »
Read MoreRelated Reading:
- Sreesanth included in India’s limited-overs squads
- Alviro Petersen, Ryan McLaren and Friedel de Wet called up
- Garner urges Windies rebranding
- Pakistan under pressure in special rivalry
- Dilshan and Mathews lift Sri Lanka
- Injured Bond out of Test series
- India go for first rank, SL for first win in India
- Steyn doubtful for final one-dayer
- Hosts could enjoy home advantage in knockout games
- Pietersen form not a worry - Flower