The former South African fast bowler, Allan Donald, has been appointed by the England & Wales Cricket Board as a consultant to the England team, and will link up with the squad ahead of the third Test at Old Trafford on a short-term contract that will take him through to the end of the NatWest Series against West Indies.
Donald, 40, had been linked with an England role ever since the start of the summer, and went public with his interest during last week’s Lord’s Test. Peter Moores, the new head coach, confirmed after the conclusion of that match that the board intended to sit down for discussions.
“It’s a big positive that someone of Allan’s stature wants to come along,” said Moores. “I want to make sure that whoever we bring in fits our set-up and it’s the right person and we don’t just think that because it’s a great name we should just pull them in.”
In a statement, the ECB said that Donald, who has over 200 Test and one-day caps to his name, will work with the England squad and with other elite England-qualified fast bowlers, and will fall under the direction of Moores and the ECB fast bowling coach, Kevin Shine.
The performance of England’s pacemen has come under severe scrutiny since the team was drubbed 5-0 by Australia in last winter’s Ashes, but Moores was keen to ensure that the blame for the failings did not fall on the shoulders of Shine, who succeeded Troy Cooley at the beginning of 2006 and has now reverted to an administrative role at the National Academy in Loughborough.
“Peter Moores and ECB have every confidence in Kevin Shine to lead the ECB fast bowling programme and to coach England’s elite fast bowlers,” said John Carr, the director of operations. “Kevin will continue to be involved in the preparation of England fast bowlers around international matches as well as being involved in any decisions to utilise the services of other fast bowling coaches with England teams or in other parts of the fast bowling programme.”
Source:Cricket NewsMore on:Allan Donald, Australia, ECB, england, England & Wales Cricket Board, NatWest Series, South Africa, West Indies
Thank you for reading this post. You can now Leave A Comment (0) or Leave A Trackback.
Post InfoThis entry was posted on Monday, May 28th, 2007 and is filed under Cricket.
Previous Post: For me national interest is supreme, says Miandad »
Next Post: Tendulkar opts out of Afro-Asian Cup »
Read MoreRelated Reading:
- ICC set to confirm Champions Trophy dates
- Morris concerned over IPL dominance
- Jayasuriya, Mendis and Shoaib Akhtar hand Sri Lanka T20 title
- Solid India hold on for draw
- Just what is it with the West Indies Cricket Board?
- Zimbabwe win bowl-out after tie
- India fightback slows Australia’s victory bid
- Record-breaking O’Brien leaves Kenya floundering
- SLC-BCCI deal quite unacceptable - Morgan
- Sri Lanka made to sweat by Cheema