Promising wicketkeeper-batsman Dinesh Chandimal is the only uncapped player in Sri Lanka’s 15-member squad for the ICC World Twenty20. Kumar Sangakkara will lead their campaign in the West Indies, and Muttiah Muralitharan will be his deputy.
Chandimal, 20, has risen in prominence in recent times and has a batting average of 31.62 in 17 domestic Twenty20 matches. He scored a century for Ruhuna last week, against Basnahira North in the SLC inter-provincial tournament.
Allrounder Thissara Perera, who has played six ODIs, has also been included in the squad. Dilhara Fernando, Kaushalya Weeraratne and Muthumudalige Pushpakumara were axed from the side that contested the two-match Twenty20 series against India in December.
Sri Lanka play New Zealand in the tournament’s opening match on April 30, and Zimbabwe on May 3.
Squad: Kumar Sangakkara (capt), Muttiah Muralitharan (vice-capt), Tillakaratne Dilshan, Mahela Jayawardene, Dinesh Chandimal, Angelo Mathews, Thissara Perera, Nuwan Kulasekera, Suraj Randiv, Ajantha Mendis, Lasith Malinga, Chanaka Welagedara, Chamara Kapugedara, Sanath Jayasuriya, Chinthaka Jayasinghe.
Capture the Conversation tells you what people are saying right now!
Share on Twitter | StumbleUpon | Del.icio.us | Digg | Facebook
Thank you for reading this post. You can now Leave A Comment (0) or Leave A Trackback.
Post InfoThis entry was posted on Wednesday, March 31st, 2010 and is filed under Cricket, General.
Previous Post: Johnson grabs 10 to seal series success »
Next Post: Lumb and Kieswetter named for World Twenty20 »
Read MoreRelated Reading:
- Clarke in line for move to No. 4
- Sparkling Ganguly stars in vital Kolkata victory
- No way but up for Punjab
- Afridi writes to PCB; requests reconsideration of fine
- Vijay blasts Chennai to vital victory
- Theron, Kleinveldt in South Africa World T20 squad
- Lumb and Kieswetter named for World Twenty20
- Chandimal, Perera in Sri Lanka’s World T20 squad
- Johnson grabs 10 to seal series success
- New Zealand cover all bases for World Twenty20