Three Sri Lankan batsmen are competing for the void created by the self-imposed absence of former captain and opening batsman Marvan Atapattu for the series against Bangladesh.
Thilan Samaraweera, Jehan Mubarak and Michael Vandort were all picked to represent the Sri Lanka A team here on Tuesday in the three-day tour match with the visitors starting on Wednesday (today).
The 31-year-old Samaraweera who captains the A team averages 41 in Tests with five centuries. Mubarak, a 26-year-old left-handed opener, has been named vice-captain and fellow left-hander Vandort has averaged 51 in six Tests.
All three were discarded after last summer’s tour of England and a good showing in the three-day game should open up the chance for one of them to complete the squad of 15 named for the three Tests starting next week.
Sri Lanka skipper Mahela Jayawardene said he was disappointed by Atapattu’s decision to opt out of the series. But it would open up a chance for a younger player to make an impression.
The first of the three Tests starts on June 25. Sri Lanka have so far made a clean sweep winning all seven Tests played between the two countries previously.More on:Bangladesh, captain, Jehan Mubarak, Mahela Jayawardene, Marvan Atapattu, Michael Vandort, Sri Lanka, Thilan Samaraweera
Thank you for reading this post. You can now Leave A Comment (0) or Leave A Trackback.
Post InfoThis entry was posted on Wednesday, June 20th, 2007 and is filed under Cricket, Cricket Stars.
Previous Post: Pakistan may play 33 ODIs within ten months »
Next Post: Cricket South Africa okays Karachi as Test venue »
Read MoreRelated Reading:
- Zimbabwe board investigates Taibu row
- Vettori expects nothing less than victory
- Yuvraj and Jaffer shine in draw
- Either Krejza or White will debut - Ponting
- Michael Vaughan takes up media role
- Hong Kong beat Italy in clash of favourites
- Sri Lanka eye tournament as preparation for World Twenty20
- Ashes more important than Stanford - Harmison
- Cameron White named as McGain’s replacement
- Mushtaq for ICL-IPL playoff